Leslie-ism:
"What I hear when I'm being yelled at
is people caring loudly at me."
This is what Leslie says after she hosts her first public forum. A meeting in which not a single person has anything positive to say, not even the beautiful Ann Perkins.
In the face of adversity, nay in the face of people shouting negativity in her face (and about her job), Leslie Knope chose to see people's love and needs in their angry, hurtful words.
(Sub)Leslie-isms:
"This could be my Hoover Dam."
- Leslie says this after she's promised Ann that she will fill in the pit and turn it into a park. Leslie doesn't need to create a million acre, multi-billion dollar park; she sees the enormity and same effects in her own, small town. There is a Hoover Dam for all of us in our lives, we just have to be looking for the possibilities, big or small.
"It sounds like you're telling me it's possible."
- Mark Brandanowitz is literally telling Leslie the new park idea will not work. Instead of hearing no, she hears him telling her to try harder. She has to do what she has to do, and NO is not going to stop her. Sometimes she had to listen to her gut to accomplish what was right, and most times, Leslie was right in doing so.
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _
How I lived it:
- First day back on the job, I feel suffused with joy and positivity. Leslie and I are one, and I'm friendly and outgoing to all who cross my path.***
- A colleague holds an informal meeting in the middle of my workspace with no notice to me, or concern for interrupting an informal meeting I happen to be having at the front desk. My partner asks if I want to move our meeting, and in spite I say no. After a beat, I feel a weight release from me and I say, No, we're not going to move and if she asks, I'm going to THANK HER. I'll thank her for adding more work and people to the life and atmosphere of the space!"
- I am chaffing to meet with my new supervisor to resolve some issues that seem high priority to me, and feel I am being blown off. I (try) to remain calm in person and in email, and continue to request meetings. One day I say to this person "I hope you don't think I'm not making time for us to meet as it is a high priority for me." This is me trying a little Leslie Knope reverse logical. This is different for me as I tend to get annoyed/angry and may start sounding demanding and like my time is more important, which usually doesn't result in the outcome I would want and probably results in many unintended negative outcomes I definitely don't want.
- My assistant and I are working on planning a class assignment. Something comes up that makes me think of something someone else did that I want to gripe about to her. I begin to tell her and about 3-4 words in I stop and say, "No griping, we don't have time for negativity!"
- Lame as this one is, I did not dress casual until Friday for work this week. Even Leslie Knope believes in Casual Fridays, y'all! I will not go as far as trying to wear pant suits, but in keeping more on the professional side of business casual, I at least feel like I was in the role of someone confident, caring, and trying to make a difference. Not because of looking "fancy," no, because I was dressed for the part! I know some women/people struggle with the idea of beauty/make up/dressing up as being an enforced norm/gender thing, and sometimes it is. But for me, it can be putting on a character and inhabiting a mindset that I need assistance in keeping.
OVERALL - This week was rough for me. I don't feel I tried to Live Like Leslie as much as I set out to do. It was hard for me to even remember her and my goal on day-to-day basis. I am feeling a bit out of sorts due to item #3 above and some other things I feel are "out of my control" at work and this gives me a sense of drift that never helps. RESOLVE - every week I will print out my Leslie-ism and have it on my desk. Seeing is believing y'all and I believe in the power of positive affirmations. I think Leslie would too.
***I thought it was partly due to the first day back to school and MOSTLY my resolve to live like Leslie...Maybe not so much Living Like Leslie once I look back at the rest of the week and how dismal it went.
------
Political Actions:
USA / Erikka - 0
Trump - 1
I took no political actions this week. Sorry U S of A...I won't let you down again!
Not a failure at all! You made it happen! Sorry your week was such a trial, but way to reflect and put some thoughtfulness in your demeanor and responses.
ReplyDeleteStay strong and love the struggle! I have to point out something I learned on the golf course (take it or leave it)... when I try to swing like somebody else (a pro I saw on TV or read about) it usually doesn't work. Their lessons in centimeters and ounces turn into actions of inches and pounds for me. In striving to become a better golfer my process needs to be: 1) practice the fundamentals (important things in golf/life) and 2) "swing like me".
ReplyDelete