Episode 2, Canvassing
Leslie-ism:
"My sub-committee held its first town hall meeting tonight.
God I loved it!
I loved every minute of it."
Leslie is having a moment of reflection at the end of the episode , after her first sub-committee meeting for beginning work on The Pit*. Much like The Pilot's public forum***, this town meeting was full of people raging against having The Pit turned into a park.
This is her first meeting, and this negativity would make most people look at the work ahead and the long road it will be and say, nah-uh, no way, no thanks. Not Leslie Knope. She sees her end goal and knows every inch she fights for and gains gets her one inch closer to it. Leslie Knope, you are the TRUE meaning of love and devotion.
(Sub)LEslie-isms:
"I'm not above using my expertise to change hearts and minds if the cause is just."
- Mark Brandanowitz told Leslie she is moving a bit fast in having a town hall meeting. He reminds her that the community might put the Park up for a vote and it would be final. Leslie responds to him with this (sub)Leslie-ism because she sees the public as on her side, or at least able to become on her side once she forces them to meet her face-to-face via canvassing.
"You don't care about your kids if you don't support this park."
- Leslie and Ann had been canvassing the neighborhood when they came across their first real anti-park person. They hadn't taken any breaks, they didn't bring snacks, or have water. This is sort of a lesson learned Leslie-ism as Leslie realized the power of snacks and water for being her best self with the public.
---------------------------------
How I lived it:
- I really did print out and post this week's Leslie-ism on my desk at work.
- I got a head cold on day 2 of this week. With a new colleague and two classes coming in, I didn't feel I could stay home as I usually would. I remembered Leslie in season 3 episode 2 (The Flu) when she still went and held a very important meeting and she felt WORSE than I do (...probably?). So instead of being whiney, I dressed up nicer and went to work with love in my heart....#loveeveryminuteofit #lovethestruggle
- I was still sick and had to go to NJ for a two day conference this past Mon and Tues. I reached deep down to pull out as much energy as I could to get up each morning and not only attend the conference but to be engaged and present. And I ate soups, took my medicines, and went to bed early to still take care of myself. I can be Leslie AND be me and still try to #loveeveryminuteofit.
- Again, I was beginning to gripe about something to my new assistant. She's always willing to listen, and she's kind enough to listen to see if she can help (I'm so lucky!). Instead of beating myself up OR griping when I know we have other things to do, I made a decision. I told her that if and when I started to gripe, she or I would pull out a phone and set a timer for 2 mins. I can gripe, but not for longer than 2 mins!
------------------------------
Political Actions:
- Not sure how I found it, but I started listening to a really awesome political podcast: The Daily. It's a 20-25 minutes tops and gives you a political quickie for the day ;-)
- Called my Senators (and drat, I need to call my Reps) about The Dream Act 2017 and immigration reform in general. As DACA is gone and in 6 months or less 800,000 people will not know their legal status or how to continue living their lives, I want Congress to make fixing this a priority.
- And to try to encourage and spread the patriotism, as I think Leslie Knope would mos def do, I posted steps on my Facebook for OTHERS to take action around The Dream 2017 Act and immigration reform.
- It was pretty minimal (and I need to do more research on the national popular vote which may be more effective) but I joined The Equal Votes Project to get rid of the Electoral College. (and encouraged others to do so by posting it to my Facebook)
USA / Erikka: 4
Trump: 1
------------------------------
*which btw, I discovered P & R has its own Wiki set up when I was trying to find the dimensions of The Pit...crazy!*
***I had an error in my last post - Leslie spoke after her first community outreach public forum, not a town hall meeting. I know this because I checked the script for this post's Leslie-ism, noticed it was about a town meeting and went back to episode 1 to verify.***

No comments:
Post a Comment