Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Lessons from a 4 yr old


This summer I'm working part time as a counselor at a farm's summer program. The campers are between 3-11 years old. I'm working with the 4 year olds. Having spent time recently with a 5 year old (my sweet as pie and so adorable you could eat him nephew Riley), I thought I had this down pat. Here are some things I forgot from when he was 4 -

1. they walk slow, I mean, SLOW

2. they can't all wipe their own asses

3. they get distracted after about 1 minute of you trying to talk "seriously" to them, about anything

4. small things are HUGE to them ie feelings, bugs, trees, experiences

5. they do not lie, they are "making up stories"


These are just a few things I've been taught in the past three days.

I'd also like to share this one incident that completely struck me because I could SO relate to this particular 4 year old reaction -

A little girl was waiting for her mother to pick her up at the end of the day (which is 12:30 pm, f**k yah!). She was spinning around in happy circles on the grass. When she happened to stop, and saw her father coming towards her, she burst out crying. Literally, no 'Hi Daddy' or pause for questions, just instant tears. Her father quickly tried to explain he thought this might happen as he and the mother in question had not had time to figure out who could pick up the little girl and hence could not tell the little girl who would be there.

Yes, I could relate to the little girl's reaction. No, I do not instantly burst into tears when my expectations are not met, but damn do I WANT to! Wouldn't it be nice to just sob and weep uncontrollably if and when we are disappointed or completely thrown off? For instance, I remember this time my beau and I went to see a movie. Of course I can't remember the title, but at the time, I'd gotten so excited to see this movie. And it was a prequel or a sequel or something long waited for, by both of us. We got there and found out all three cinemas showing it were SOLD OUT! I was SO disappointed...and I could not just let it go. I moped all night long. Whined so much I annoyed even my beau. If I'd burst into tears, maybe I could have moved on faster....who knows.

1 comment:

  1. I feel your sentiment. I think sometimes if we could just get it out all at once, even if it is a little more intense, then we'd be better off, because it would pass faster.

    I liked your list of learned things about 4yr olds :) I want to hear more about your adventures with them

    ReplyDelete