Friday, May 1, 2009

A Little Pork Goes A Long Way



For the next 6 months my beau and I receive 10 lbs of meat from a local farm, The Turkey Farm. We signed up for a meat share and I have never felt better about eating meat!!

The bounty this month included:

sweet Italian sausage
smoked bacon
2lbs of ground pork
pork chops (the biggest and prettiest chops I've EVER seen)
a chicken breast (one which is the size of TWO!)


Hopefully I'm not forgetting anything...We also signed up for a veggie share through the partner farm to this one, Stillman's Farm. The Stillman's are a family who run both farms, one team ofparents the other a daughter and her husband. Last year we had a veggie share with Red Fire Farm but wanted to try a new one. My beau worked on Red Fire once upon a time and his recollection of the quality of their produce was not a match for produce we received...Needless to say as the demand for CSAs grows and turns into a craze, the capacity of existing farms is strained and the quality is the first thing to suffer. Plus, I've heard from some farmers that the best produce sold is found at farmers markets. Why? Because prices are higher there and these people are choosing what to buy. Us poor saps who buy into the CSA are giving our support and trust before we see the produce AND we're locked in for the season anyway. Customer satisfaction should be of concern...but right back to where we started - with the growing demand for CSAs and fresh produce, farmers have a customer right in line to fill my empty spot if I decide to leave.

Stay tuned for posts on what to do when you get 10 lbs of pork products!



No comments:

Post a Comment