For one, I've not mentioned my lovely garden in...ever. Since I don't live in the country and I'm also not a farmer, gardening is a hobby and a necessity for me to nurture the country girl inside me. Getting my finger nails dirty no matter how short I trim them, picking each and every tiny weed out of the beds, and watching the seeds grow. Squatting in the garden is the one place where I slow down and unintentionally meditate. The world outside dims and blurs and it is just me and the garden. I need that kind of peace and so far, I've found it in very few places. This year I feared I wouldn't get a plot and if I did, it would be miles from my apartment. Fortune smiled on me and I got a plot about half a mile or less from my place. I see my garden daily on my walk home, which is how I like to garden. I may not do anything, but I like to visually see what is going on every day.
Here's what is growing in my garden these days - onions, chives, kale, carrots, potatoes, and...shoot, there's something else, but it eludes me. The potato plants are seedlings now, about 9- 12 inches high! Growing them was as easy as throwing the seed potato pieces into the ground and viola, instant potato plants. There are about five varieties I planted, all which will be a surprise because I did not label any of them. I would like to mention that I got the seed potatoes for free from a local farm yahoo group I am in. A farm nearby had extras and I met a woman to get some. Anyone in the Boston area should join.
Recently I was part of a seed swap organized by Howling Hill, so check out tomorrow's post to find out more about that process.
In other veggie related news, the CSA share Jason and I purchased (along with my friend and
And more news - I made the news; I am being published! My first article on the JP farmer's market will be published around or in the June 11th edition of the JP Gazette. Check it out online if you want to see me in action. I am even being paid for my writing! The woman's offer to pay caught me off guard as I thought I'd be doing it for free. She immediately knew I was "green" to the freelance world, bah! I managed to do my research before submitting my article, so I was prepared with my offer. And not only that, but she liked my idea for another article for which I will also be paid! She was not so keen on the backyard gardener expose, but she totally dug an exploration of the JP community gardens and a piece on JP CSA farms.
To wrap up all this green news, join me and my two other book reading friends next week as we begin reading Slow Food Nation. This will be a very low stress reading situation as the book only has 5 chapters. For next week, read chapter one (all 28 pages) then check back here for comments, questions, and fun. Green Bean Dreams has extended her challenge into June and the book group here has unintentionally continued the challenge. Thanks again, Christine, for the book suggestion.
I look at my garden every day though mine is in the front yard. I know what you mean by having to *see* it daily.
ReplyDeleteLike yourself, I *must* garden. When Wolf and I were house hunting (the first time) I ruled out houses based on the yard. There were many I didn't even go in because the yard wasn't going to meet my needs.
and from your pics, you've got a GREAT yard for gardening now. do you plan on selling to a market or setting up a stand or anything?
ReplyDeleteI have some surprise seedlings as well. Enjoy your gardening!
ReplyDeleteWe keep our produce. Last year I learned how to can so I can preserve it. Any time we can't eat it all, I send it to Nana and my mother in law. But that doesn't usually happen.
ReplyDeleteThe plot is really small and there's no part of the yard which gets full sun so the garden isn't as prolific as it could be. We'd like to get into a bigger house with a bigger yard. But that ain't happening anytime soon.
That's awesome you signed up for the CSA Share! I'm still debating whether or not to do that with my roommates or continue trying to hit up the farmer's markets and local markets.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on the article publication! That's amazing! When will it be available? Will you update us every time you get something published? Please????
It is amazing how relaxing gardening can be. What luck you found a community garden nearby.
ReplyDeleteThere is a community garden in my town that is really buzzing with activity this year. I really want to stop by and check out what and how people are growing.