Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I do depend on the kindness of Strangers...


The local hero award has two recipients again this week. One was local, but not in relation to where I am now. The other was local...if I live at the airport.

My first heroine is a blonde woman from the Red Sox vs Orioles game I saw Sunday in Baltimore. That's right, the game AFTER Man Ram hit home run #500, but we did see him hit #501. At some point, I realized my sunglasses were gone, having slipped from the top of my head without my notice. I was a little bummed, not because they were $600 sunglass hut glasses, but because Jason got them for me. In the bottom of the 9th inning, the heroine being honored here climbed all the way up to the top of the bleachers to give me back my sunglasses. She was sitting near where our real seats were, where I'd sat for one inning at the beginning of the game before retreating to the shady, breezy upper reaches of the bleachers. THANK YOU KIND BLONDE WOMAN!

Local hero number two is a person from my flight from Baltimore to Boston. Somehow I forgot I was sitting on my favorite sweater. When I debarked the plane, I LEFT IT THERE! Egads! On the way out, I also forgot my coffee mug in the bathroom, so Jason waited as I ran back to go get it. Upon returning, Jason hands me my sweater and says "Some guy came up to me and said, 'I think your girlfriend left this on the plane." My many faux pas worked in my favor or I would be sans my favorite sweater right now! THANK YOU RANDOM DUDE FROM PLANE!


This week's environmental hero goes to my unknown neighbor/s with the a-MAZING backyard garden (looking at my apartment, they would be the ones to the right). If I am correct, the neighbor/s in question are a couple about my age or a smidge older, as I think I've seen them outside before. They have two rows of tee-pees set up for beans or tomatoes or something. Then, FURTHER* back in their yard, they have two beds for planting and an additional tee-pee!
They are making the most of their space.

The couple also inspired my next pitch to the JP Gazette - an expose on backyard gardeners in JP - veggies and flower growers. We'll see if the Gazette bites on this idea.

*I may have mentioned this before, but Jason and I do not have a backyard. Instead, our beautiful and spacious porch looks out on the front of another house, set right where a backyard should have been. Damn the owner who sold off our yard! How could they ever think looking out their back windows into someone's front windows could EVER be appealing? Hence, when I saw my neighbors backyard sprawling out as it did to encompass all that garden growth...my heart cried just a little.

4 comments:

  1. Ooh! I want to read that article! I hope they bite on your pitch too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My ex's next door neighbor has the most amazing garden. The land behind him is owned by the power company, and every year, he expands the garden a foot further into their property. It's fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for pointing out the GOOD that people are doing in the world. Every little deed helps.

    It seems like we always focus on the negatives. It really brings me down.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erikka! You are leaving your stuff all over the place! hahaha. You are definitely lucky that these kind people were around.
    I too wish I had a backyard that I could have a garden in. Luckily we at least have some sort of zen garden, instead of another house.

    ReplyDelete