There is a site called, Five Limes. The site is meant to help people locate "green" restaurants, stores, whatever! in walking distance of their homes. The site started in Canada, so don't feel intimidated by how AWESOME and green the Canada sections are if you look at them.
However, taking a look at Boston proper, there's not much. In fact, there's nada. Yeah, there are some farms listed, but heck I can't walk to western MA to reach any of them. Here's a call to arms Bostonians! Let's get on the job and help fill in the "green" ins and outs of Boston.
What do I mean by "Green?" You can check out my two examples -
one a product, one a restaurant - to get a brief idea, but I'll try to explain what Being Green means to me. Being Green is about being as mindful of your actions and their impact as possible. This could mean turning off lights when you leave a room, using LED light bulbs, composting, gardening, living off the grid, building your own solar panels, buying those carbon off-set share thingies, any number of actions that show acknowledgment to a connection between what you do and this world we live in. For me, this is a constantly evolving cycle. I'm not always rigid in my routines and I'm still learning what works and what doesn't work for my current lifestyle. Through this blog, I've tried to share a few things I've done and to me, a big part of Being Green is simply Doing-It-Myself a lot more than my lifestyle and circumstances demand. I didn't have to make my own curtains, I choose to make them. Jason didn't have to make our bed, but he choose to make it. (for those interested, the actual 10 steps mentioned on that poster are here)Each of us is confronted with so many choices every day, it can be overwhelming. Maybe not every choice seems earth shattering or world changing, but when it comes to those choices that are, that's when whatever most influences your decision making counts. For me, the most influence I want to make and think about is Being Green.
Take care, and I hope to see some of y'all on the Five Limes site, filling other Bostonians in on the cool places to Be Green.
Now go hug somebody...or maybe a tree.
Fondly,
A Wanna Be Green Lady
ps. while searching for some images to include, I came across last year's Green Build Intl. Conference, which was held in Boston. I really dug the slogan, hence the post's title.
I signed up out of curiosity. I saw a couple posts on SF, one of them being this vegan place Blake mentioned called Millenium. I'll have to check it out now fo' sure!
ReplyDelete