I'm even more honored to announce that I possibly have my first commissioned job as well. A friend of mine is getting married in the fall and asked me to make the backings for her invitations. I sent her some samples so we'll see if my paper is what she had in mind.
I never knew how intricate one could get in choosing what goes into each batch of future paper. For the Go Green, if you read the materials used list, you'll see I shredded a pair of jeans I've had the leg of since the late 90's. I remember wearing those jeans with this clashing teal green and white plaid flannel of my dad's to high school. I thought I was so cool. I probably had my "totem rocks" tied to my waist band too. I'll post about those another time though when I can include pictures of them. Suffice it to say I was a very alternatively spiritual teenager for my time and very very unpopular.
Anyway! Paper and the paper making process has got me thinking in creative ways I have missed. Trying to think of the right combination of colors for the shade I want, getting the right size chunks for pieces I want to disintegrate and for those I want to leave as chunks - I didn't know there was an infinite universe of choices in making this paper. I found some great ideas for different textures and different chunks I could use from these sights the above soon-to-be-married friend sent me -
www.custompaper.com
http://botanicalpaperworks.com/
http://plantamemory.com
The next type of paper I want to attempt making (besides some home made pinkish red paper for a home made valentine for my beau) is seed paper. What a great idea to be able to plant the ENTIRE invitation or piece of paper and get some herb or plant from it. I've heard from a friend who got a Cilantro invitation like this that the paper is tougher to print on, but that could easily be solved for special occasions by printing on vellum and attaching that to the top of the home made paper. There is a lot I want to try...so much creative possibilities...
Enjoy!
I always keep old cloth and stuff with the hope that I'll make something out of it. Then I never do. I'm impressed that you actually do it. Kudos!
ReplyDeleteMy cousin used seed paper when she sent out her wedding invitations.
ReplyDeleteAlthough, I have to say, my Dad and I both planted ours and nothing sprouted. Still, the idea was there.
Plus, my cousin got married six years ago. Maybe the invites are "new and improved" now!
Good job! I like how your store selection is growing :)
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to see the seed paper, I like the concept of incorporating plants into the design. Reminds me of some of my printmaking designs.