Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Who's Yo Daddy...I mean, Presidential candidate?

My dear sister-in-law Maura sent me a really neat link to a "choose your candidate quiz." Based on your answers to 10 questions about current issues, the quiz matches you with the candidates with the closest ideology to your own. You can even rank the issues and the matches may change.

Who's Yo Pappi, I mean, President?

From my answers to the questions alone, candidates with similar values were -


In case you don't know who those people are (because I didn't either) they are Hilary Clinton, Chris Dodd, and Bill Richardson,.


Changing the issues so each weighed a bit more...I STILL got the same three people. Odd. This may seem like a time waster, which it partially is, but it also served as an eye opener for me. Why? Because I realize how out of touch I am with politics when I know 8 candidates out of the 17 running. Because when asked how I would see a candidate improving the health care system or improving the federal tax system I didn't really know how they could and almost didn't fully grasp the choices with which I was presented.

And this is probably how most people feel not just in talking about politics, the people in them, and how to improve our country, but also on election day. I know especially in elections before G dubyah, I was more uneducated in politics than today. I'd step into the booth with my ballot in hand only to stare at the meaningless names. I'd look to the party affiliations, see if I had any name recognition with any of them, and if not, just pick a name I liked. It got worse when local political positions were also included, positions like Game Warden or Town Clerk where local people ran. Did I know them? Know these people from my town whom I have way more chance of knowing or meeting than any national candidate? No.

This quiz will not directly determine who I vote for, but it may have piqued my interest enough in the three candidates I continually was matched with to see what they believe and what issues they are running on. Other than that...

I'm not sure if this quiz or realization will lead to an attitude change or a forward action on my part. After G Dubyah won for the second time (you know, the time after he won by accident and most sane people thought to themselves, 'Gee, this time he surely can't win after all he's fucked up,' and he DID) my heart for political change and motivating voters just died. Newspapers recounting more of his failures just led me to frustration, anger, and a sense of helplessness, so I stopped reading or watching news. I decided that my vote really doesn't matter in a democracy where the majority rules because if that majority doesn't agree with me, I'll NEVER BE HEARD!

Instead, and Jason may not have made this up but he's the last source I heard it from, "I vote with my dollar" in as many cases as I can. I shop at local farmer's markets. I donate to charities of whom I'd like to support their mission. I ride the T to work, walk, or ride my bike everywhere else. I don't shop at Walmart (unless I'm in East Bum NH camping and an unexpected down pour happens and walmart is the only store around) Whatever little ways I can avoid supporting the channels of this current administration financially, I do.

How do you vote? And more importantly, who did you get in the quiz?

8 comments:

  1. I took your quiz and got Giuliani, Dodd and Kucinich. Hmmmm. I took a similar quiz a week or so ago and got John Edwards. That bastard's been cheating on his dying wife. His dying wife who insists on being on the campaign trail rather than home with your kids. Are you dying or not? If so, be with your kids.

    I hate politics, they are so political.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I doubt my sarcasm came through there...there should be a tone of voice online. Sorry if that was misinterpreted. I don't think he's cheating on his wife and how they choose to live their lives as a family is up to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's weird, I'm here at you blog for the first time, and I'm talking politics. I got Mike Gravel, who I've never heard a lick about, Kucinich, who is fun, but about to duck out, and McCain, who I would not vote for if he were the last candidate on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ladies! Thanks for coming over to see my blog. If your's is open to the public, know I am going there next.

    noelle - the multiple choice answers are kind of limited...so they lead you into only certain avenues which may be only sort of what you would really want from a candidate. with me, i know the two health care questions stumped me so i could have been picking George Dubyah there for all I know.

    sobe - sarcasm actually came through loud and clear. i didn't know that about Edwards...what a prick. Why is his wife crazy?

    noelle and sobe - you both kick some arse for talkin' politics on the first date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. First round, got Dennis Kucinich (pretty much blew everyone else out of the water), then Bill Richardson and Barack Obama at #3.
    Second time Kucinich still won, but only slightly with Rudy Giuliani then Mike Huckabee.
    Interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh. I'm going to have to do this and see who I get. cool!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was interesting, but the results are hardly scientific. For example, I'm not surprised that I got Dennis Kucinich as number 1, but Mike Huckabee is number 3? I would never vote for that man in a million years. For a variety of reasons. Also, I knew as I was reading a lot of the answers which candidate believes which position, and I'm not saying that to sound all edumacated, I'm just saying, it's good to pay attention to these things. Important, even.

    For the record, I support Obama. And he didn't even come up in my results, but supporting a candidate isn't just a checklist of "I believe this, I don't believe this".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry to be a reactionist cynic, but honestly, whoever can guarantee that the next president isn't going to be Republican gets my vote. Democrat, Independent, Libertarian, Green Party... heck, even a sniper.

    The idea of being able to pick your favorite candidate from a list like ordering off a menu seems a little too polyanna... to me it seems like you're over to dinner at somebody's house, and you just try not to pick the house of the person who can't cook anything right.

    ReplyDelete