Tuesday, June 5, 2007

Rockin' the Summah - New England Style

The start of summer hours at my job proclaims to one and all that yes, that is right….SUMMER IS TRULY HERE!


With so little time and so much to do, I’m not sure I will get to do and see all these things, but I’m going to attempt to squeeze as much summer fun out of the time I have as I can! Many of my week-ends are half booked up until… July 21st, so I might actually have to start doing something with my nights during the week. Half day Fridays and sometimes full Fridays off will come in handy. I can plan long week-ends!

Anyone is invited to not only add to this list of AMAZING ADVENTURES, but to COME ALONG and share the adventures with your number one lady for adventure – ME! On many of these affairs, I’m sure I’ll be accompanied by my trusty side kick as well, and if you haven’t met him yet, you should. My side kick = Jason = wonderful.

Let the summer planning….BEGIN!



Festivals/summer attractions:



Yarmouth, ME (near Portland) - Clam Festival - July 20-22-clams!

Hillsborough, NH - Hot Air Balloon Festival - July 12-15-this may be a rip-off (I cant go, but someone should and should then guest blog for me with pics from the event)

Deerfield, NH - Deerfield Fair - September 27-30-games, rides, the 4H pet the animal smelly tents, horse pulls, and flirting

Keene, NH – Pumpkin Festival – October sometime
-the record for most lit lanterns, hayrides, and food, need I say more?
New Bedford, MA - Fisherman's Festival - Sept 22-23
-watch the fleet be blessed and see fishermen test their skills in contests

North End, Boston, MA - Fisherman's Feast - Aug. 16-19
-the Italians honor a Saint, the fleet, and serve lottsa food!

Gloucester, Ma - Schooner Race - Sept. 3
-watch old time boats race each other….I swear it looks cool to see these old ships sailing, if indeed the actual event is not cool

Lowell, MA – Folk Festival – July 27-29

Jamaica Plains, MA – Lantern Festival – July 13 (I will be at a Red Sox game, damn it! Who can go, take notes and pics and blog for me? Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?)




The following activities are free ballers, no set date or time, so can happen spontaneously. But happen they must because they are…


Quintessential summer activities:

- fly my unicorn kite at Revere Beach

(ps. that's Berkley, not Revere)
- visit Newport and PTown, RI
- go to a park with rides (old school - Canobie lake, new school - six flags)
- have a watermelon eating contest
- Frisbee in the Arboretum in JP
- moonlight kayaking on the Charles
- a harbor island boat ride and/or tour
- Go to Woodstock, Vermont
- swim across Walden Pond
- Bike to Concord, visit the Alcott House
- Go to Emily Dickenson's house in western MA
- Go on a guided bike ride with MassBike.
- Ride bike to DeCordova museum and picnic there
- Go to Manchester by the Sea
-visit Rockport, MA
- swing in a hammock and read
- jump through a sprinkler

Here is what my schedule is looking like right now and we’ll start with only week-ends since that is the prime time for fun-ness to happen –

June 9-10 – camping on the Cape, Brian P’s wedding (Falmouth)
June 16 – Harbor Cruise and tailgate party 4:30-10pm
June 17 – FREE!
June 22-24 – camping and hiking in Franconia Notch, NH
June 29-July1 – FREE!
July 6-8 - @ lake house in NY with Jason and family
July 13 – Red Sox!
July 14 – wedding, ME
July 20-22 – FREE!
July 27-29 – FREE!
August 3-5 – FREE!
August 11 – Farm bike tour with Jason, Laurie and Paolo
August 12 – FREE!
August 17-19 – FREE!
August 31-September 2 – FREE!

This listing does not even take into account the numerous movies I might want to see, the barbeques I want to eat at, and the informal game night gatherings that nourish my soul. What a paradox – to make time to do all of the above but leave time for magic to happen. I am excited already!



2 comments:

  1. Summertime...when the livin' is easy....

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude, that kid is squeezing one out, right there, in front of EVERYBODY

    ReplyDelete