Thursday, May 31, 2007

Wedding Bells Are Ringing A Bell In My Mind

There is nothing like a wedding to incite deep emotional responses of all kinds in people. Deeper connection, remorse, sadness, guilt, longing – the range of emotions are as unpredictable as the weather for the big day itself. Luckily, this wedding was full of positive emotions that just got better and better. It did end up physically raining, but all that rained on us guests was love and more love.

Last week-end, Jason and I attended our…second wedding together. (the first being his friend Scott’s back when we were ‘not serious.’) My friend Laurie from college, one of my dearest and truest friends, is now a Mrs. and it was great to have him there with me.









Laurie is not one for make up or extravagant hair, but she had both done in such good taste; she looked elegant and so radiant in a very Laurie way. Paolo is a lucky man and I know he makes her unbelievably happy.

As she walked down the aisle, my being was filled with happiness for her. I couldn’t stop smiling and looking to all my other college friends who were sitting with me to share in this moment with them. There is a group of us that are the motliest crew one could ever expect to make up a bunch of not only friends, but past housemates. The craziness of college and the honesty that is born there binds us together. One of us was missing, but Heather was in our thoughts and hearts.






Listening to the priest’s (long winded) homily about love, commitment, and celebrating resonated with me. As opposed to our first wedding together, no longer am I in doubt as to Jason’s feelings for me. I have no idea what the future will be for us, but I know now that we are traveling together where this path leads. And it must have resonated with Jason too because throughout the ceremony, he would squeeze me and look at me. It was surprising and comforting to share openly our affections in these silent communions. If I had thought my heart would burst seeing Laurie ascend to the altar, I thought it would burst more when Jason and I kissed and said, ‘Peace be with you.’

And a wedding is not a wedding without a reception. There was a live band that did great covers and no cheesy music like the chicken dance. (barf) The appetizers were AMAZING! Including bacon wrapped scallops and an olive bar. The Italians, they know how to throw a wedding, yah?! Even more special about this wedding is that I got to share it with my college friends, Jason, AND my brother! My brother married Laurie’s cousin, Maura, so he is even closer to her than I am! (spot him in the light green shirt ahead of me and Maura ahead of him in this dancing machine of a conga line) My brother and I are very close and to have him there to celebrate was surreal but awesome. He and I rip up a dance floor where ever there is one, so we are both assets to any function and occasion.

The reception was held at the private school Laurie attended for elementary grades. It is a Swiss looking mansion house on lovely landscaped grounds. At one point, Jason and I went outside to walk around and we shared this amazing moment that I won’t divulge too much about because I want to stow it away and preserve it for moments when I need a warm glow. Needless to say, since this moment, Jason and I have been growing ever closer and more open. The ‘honeymoon’ period of being over polite and unsure is slowly drawing to a close, but the curtain is reopening for a deeper connection with a standing ovation of one giggly excitement and churning butterflies.


No comments:

Post a Comment