

The plot I thought I’d call home for at least a year has already been bid a fond farewell. This year I received a new plot, supposedly with more direct sun. I’m beginning to think this may have been an exaggeration, seeing as half the plot is in the shade of a big ol’ oak tree. Alas, I was not there that fate-filled day to make the declaration of independence from the old stomping grounds. But that is another story…to catch up on later in this sermon.
Finally I started the season on time this year. With a little foresight on my part, I used my networks of random internet folks to see if I could barter the use of a grow light or green house. One of my six yahoo groups came through with a woman willing to share on one condition - I willingly share my land with some surrogate squashes and corn. Last year I had so little growing, this did not seem like an unfair trade. Two trays of cucumber, melon, basil, lettuce and pepper seeds went off to live with their foster mother until they were old enough and strong enough to leave her warm spotlighted side for a darker, loamier homestead.
As the days grew longer and the sun grew brighter, the idea of outdoor planting grew bigger and more real. Unfortunately, on the day declared by the Community Garden Gods as THE first day of planting, I was out of town. Thus befell my new prime time location of oak side seats to God’s heavy weight title match - nature vs. nurture. Foster Mom was there to make the executive decision and I backed her up when I got home. She even went so far as to weed the entire 8 x 12 bed, relocate my previously planted garlic and onions, AND added compost. (aside - did you know garlic is part of the onion family? It is!) Who was I to second guess the foster mother of my seedlings, who spoke with authority and knowledge on all subjects garden related? Me? When I made it down the next week-end, I was impressed with the new locale. The plot is centrally located by the tool box, a compost bin for weeds directly ringside, and a then leafless maple tree looking harmless at its rear. I direct seeded some peas and peppers and went home.

A few days later when I picked up the kids from Foster Mom’s, I was stunned at their derelict appearance. She had mentioned they’d grown a bit…leggy, but this!?! Lettuce leaves tilted here and there, spindly thin leaves too fragile to stand straight. Basil cells were dry and bare, not a hint of green in sight. The only plants looking like they would survive the shock of transplant were the melons, or were those cucumbers…or squashes even? The fringey tops of carrots came as a shock to me. Why would I ever seed carrots in a tray? I wasted not only their precious lives, but the cells and the soil! Boldly, I planted the lettuce, hoping deep soil would save them, and I tossed most everything else. Two melcumashes made the final cut as well. I doubted any of these plants would do anything, but as I turned up the soil to direct seed carrots (the best way to get carrots to grow) the sight of earth worms tilling the soil rejuvenated my hope for these little plants.


No comments:
Post a Comment