This book was dark and gory, not necessarily over the top but graphic enough. I read it while on a 7 hour flight, so not sure my literary critiquing hat was firmly on or if I was wearing my summer beach reading hat instead. I enjoyed reading it, it was fun, it was gross, and it was well written enough that it kept me reading. There was a love story between two unlikely people that was real and sexy with no sex (spoiler!). There was a struggle for survival. There were a few themes of love, loyalty, and humanity thrown in for a little thinking. If you want to read something that will keep you entertained and remind you of a reality show gone wrong, read Sweet.
"The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes." Proust
Wednesday, June 29, 2016
Sweet by Emmy Laybourne
A student aide in the library and I were talking about The Lie Tree. I was recommending she read it, telling her it was dark and creepy in a way I've not encountered in many books lately. It was dark and creepy in a non-gory, bloody, over the top sort of way. She immediately started telling me about a book she'd recently read where people were trying this diet supplement when suddenly the story gets gory and real dark. Like so dark she was scared to go to bed that night. An inkling that I'd heard of this book formed in my mind, and I asked her if it involved a cruise. "Yeeessss!" she responded and hence I found Sweet by Emmy Laybourne.
This book was dark and gory, not necessarily over the top but graphic enough. I read it while on a 7 hour flight, so not sure my literary critiquing hat was firmly on or if I was wearing my summer beach reading hat instead. I enjoyed reading it, it was fun, it was gross, and it was well written enough that it kept me reading. There was a love story between two unlikely people that was real and sexy with no sex (spoiler!). There was a struggle for survival. There were a few themes of love, loyalty, and humanity thrown in for a little thinking. If you want to read something that will keep you entertained and remind you of a reality show gone wrong, read Sweet.
This book was dark and gory, not necessarily over the top but graphic enough. I read it while on a 7 hour flight, so not sure my literary critiquing hat was firmly on or if I was wearing my summer beach reading hat instead. I enjoyed reading it, it was fun, it was gross, and it was well written enough that it kept me reading. There was a love story between two unlikely people that was real and sexy with no sex (spoiler!). There was a struggle for survival. There were a few themes of love, loyalty, and humanity thrown in for a little thinking. If you want to read something that will keep you entertained and remind you of a reality show gone wrong, read Sweet.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think I'm going to read both books you mentioned :)
ReplyDelete