This is me. Me and my hair. My hair and I are going to be really close for the next few months. I'll style it more. I'll admire it more. Because after March 26, we're going to be very far apart. Why? That is the day I will shave it off. (skip to bottom for my vlog if you don't want to read)
On March 26, I (and many others) will be a Shavee for a St. Baldrick's event my school is hosting. I've challenged my students to help me raise $2000 and they're at around $200 right now. I've also put the word out to friends and family and they've given me $330. This event is to raise awareness about childhood cancers and to raise money to go toward more research for cures. Those are things I can get behind and shave my head for!
To be honest, I've always wanted to shave my head...It all started for me waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in high school. A friend of mine shaved her head, just for the fun of it. That is ballsy! Since that day, I've always thought to myself, one day Erikka...one day you will shave your head or die regretting it. Finally, the day has come and the components I need have aligned (...the moon is in the 7th house, jupiter is in line with mars...haha!). I am at a place I feel confident about who I am and my appearence, I am doing it for reasons other than just challenging my vanity, and I will be setting an example for others around me.
I've decided to capture in photo, words, and vlog (video blog! my first!) my adventure in having hair (for the last two months of its current life) and the aftermath without it. Me. Me and no hair. Not just to be like "Oh my god, I like, have no hair now!" and you watch me cry for hours. More to talk about being a woman. Being a woman with hair. Being a woman without hair. And all the stuff inbetween and outside and around all those big ideas.
This is me and my hairvanture. Stick around and see how it all turns out!
#hairventure #stbaldricksfoundation #hairtonohair
ps. this is my first vlog, so...yeah. It's not like cinematic greatness....not yet!

You should dedicate one entry to describing your current hair now. Then again about a year after you shave your head. I am curious if it will grow back differently somehow! Be sure to cut off a small lock too, put it in a locket, all old school.
ReplyDelete@c-snizzle - I spoke to my stylist about this and to my science team and they said - no way! When women's hair changes, it's linked to hormonal or chemical changes in their body OR a pre-disposition that would have happened anyway. Cutting or shaving hair does not change the follicles. The chances of my hair growing back curly are slim to none. Now texture wise, maybe it might be different, but not due to the shaving but because it was doing that/going to anyway as it fell out and grew back. I've noticed some of my hairs are oddly thicker and coarser than others...maybe instead of utlra fine and thick hair like it is now I'll have coarser thick hair. Who knows! But I will document that in the future just for you! :-) <3
ReplyDeleteInteresting! I feel like so many times I talk to women who have changed their hair in some way drastically and it was never the same after. For me it was when I permed my hair in like 5th grade. But maybe it is just like you said - things were already in motion and it just made it more apparent once whatever was done to the hair grew out.
ReplyDelete