Friday, November 7, 2014

Bye Bye Ms. American Pie

Their eyes were locked together, the air tense with their longing.

"Please," she said, her stomach twisting painfully. "You got my letter didn't you?"

"I don't know what you're talking about," April responded, her left eye twitching just barely. "It doesn't matter. I told you I can't do this anymore. I won't. This is not me, this life is not what I want. Can you imagine what it would be like, living here, like that?" But she didn't turn away, and that blush, light red and warm, that beautiful blush rose up her neck to blotch her cheeks. "I have other dreams, other places I want to see."

"April, I love you. You love me. We can be together. I can go with you! You said you...we said...," Eva stumbled over her words, stepping one step forward. "I love you." Eva's hand trembled as she gently placed it on April's cheek, the cool of it against the velvety soft warmth. "Please..." she managed to get out, tears filling her eyes.

For one moment, they stayed that way. Blue eyes looking into brown eyes. A hand upon a cheek. No expression on April's face, Eva's unable to hide any. For one moment, Eva's stomach twisted not with fear but with hope. She stepped closer again, their faces mere inches apart.

"We can do this..." she whispered, "Remember? US, growing old together, sitting in rocking chairs on a porch...together." Even as she said this Eva could see it, the future. Their future. Everything she and April had whispered together late at night, lying side by side in the same bed. The dreams they'd tossed about as they walked the night cloaked roads, street lights their only observers.

"It was only talk," April finally said, stepping back and away, her voice as flat and lifeless as her eyes. "And it was never with you. You've twisted everything about this place, about us, and I can't take it, I can't be in it, anymore."

Eva let her body melt, her knees smacking into the floor. Her stomach heaved its contents out at the same time as she sobbed wildly. She couldn't even look up to see April leave, wouldn't be able to see through her hair, tears, bile, mess, but she heard the door close and she screamed. April left, she left her here. The door closed behind her. The future was gone. Eva was left here, alone, in a place filled with April and all April had known. Eva left here with the dreams and talk April had inspired in her, for them. It was supposed to be them. It was supposed to be her.

No comments:

Post a Comment