Monday, January 21, 2013

A Raisin In the Heart

Today's cookies were Chewy ginger cookies with raisins.



As soon I started making them, my thoughts were of my dad.  The man LOVES riasins. He will eat them with just about anything.  He will eat them by themselves. If he will lower himself to eat a cookie, you bet your bottom that cookie will have raisins in it.  As I stirred in the flour, and folded in the raisins, I remembered something. Not a real memory, as I don't recall ever seeing my grandmother make them, my father eat them, or anything real happen. BUT. Something like a memory stirred.

A while back I found a recipe from my dad's mother in this old knitting basket of hers that I now own.  It was for oatmeal raisin cookies. At the time, I thought to myself - put this somewhere you'll remember where to find it, but somewhere it will be safe.  And there it went, into my memories faulty workings, to be lost.  Until some amount of time later, maybe even a year, I found the recipe again!  I made those oatmeal cookies...Here's where more memory may be dreams/imaginings - I think I made them for my family to try, so I could let them know they were Grammy's recipe.   

Flash back to the present.  Again, I have misplaced that recipe. It's one a piece of worn notebook paper, scrawled in my dad's mother's kind of terrible cursive.  There are other scrawls on there too, unrelated to the cookies - counts on some knitting project, random words.  Because it was so worn I kept saying I needed to keep it safe and put it somewhere I'd remember (keep it hidden, keep it safe - lord of the rings). Why not draw myself a treasure map back to it at least?!? Drat!  Oh wait, right, this is not even the point I was trying to make here.  The point is as I was making these new cookies that included raisins, I remembered this phantom other recipe. I remembered asking my dad about them (I think) and he telling me she made them all the time, probably those and not many other kinds of cookies (I think).  And as I began shaping this new cookie dough into 1.5 inch balls to place into the refrigerator for firming up, I wondered if that is why my dad loves raisins?  Because his mother used them in cookies he loved.

Please, if there is a benevolent presence amongst us, let me find that worn piece of paper once more. I promise I won't lose it this time...

ps. do bars count as cookies?  found a really yummy sounding recipe and wonder if it would count toward my 100 cookies in a year goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment