When I say Ohm, the hum of it starts deep in my throat, kind of right behind my breast plate. The hum flows up and through my mouth, vibrating my lips. Once it is fully articulated, I can feel it humming in my ears. I hold the sound for as long as I can then with a deep inhale, I start again. Ohm. My body is ringing, my mind is totally focused on the sound and feel of ohm. Deep in my consciousness, I wonder if I keep saying ohm and breathing, would this feeling last forever? I picture monks around the world, at this same moment, and imagine them saying Ohm too.
Buddhists believe that Ohm is the perfect sound, it encompasses all sounds, it is the divine, it is the "sound symbol for the ultimate reality." Maybe I agree. For when I say ohm, when I feel it humming in me, and I hear it ringing into one sound with the voices of strangers, I feel connected. And not in that metaphorical sense of "like yeah man, we're like, all connected duuude." No, I mean in a very physical sense. In saying ohm, I am the sound. I am the ringing and the energy. And its the energy that is the world, that is the sound, that is me.
I agree, I like the ohm ending to yoga. It feels uniting not only to the fellow people in the class, but to myself and my body. I like how it resonates too.
ReplyDeleteI've read that "ohm" also has scientifically proven positive effects. Something about the vibrations in your mouth and throat is legitimately relaxing to your system. Of course, now i can't remember what i read, but...
ReplyDelete