Saturday, January 16, 2010

Moi Bonita

Exchange between me and a Spanish speaking woman, also a customer, in Salvation Army:


Her: Where did you get those? (in reference to the cute polka dot heels in my hand) So cute.

Me: From the window display. Where did that dress go you had in your arms?

Her: Oh, it didn't fit me. It might work for you. You've got a tush.

Me: I know! I've tried telling people I've got one, and they're always like, "Where?" (pointing to my butt) And I say, "Right here! How can they not see it?"


Very validating moment. Because indeed, this baby got back.*

People are ... deceived by my smallness. They assume that means everything about me is small. And heck, put me next to a woman who is 5'10" and 170 and of course I look small. But I'm just smallER than bigger framed people. My butt in general is NOT small. It's not huge either. I'd like to think of it as a nice handful. The kind of butt men turn to stare at, my beau likes to spank, and I like to see in lacy undies. It's a good butt.

I'm grateful for it.




*In 6th grade I went to my first and only summer camp. It was in town at my school, probably affordable for my parents and easy for transportation since I rode my bike. At the time, my friend was there too, girl named Alice. For the talent show at the end of camp we made up a dance to the song, Baby Got Back. I look back at it and cannot beLIEVE the counselors let us do this dance to that song. The whole thing was kind of like the song and dance number of Lindsey Lohan's character and the Plastics in Mean Girls. Disturbingly sexual and awkwardly out of place for the setting. Luckily, we didn't have costumes.

3 comments:

  1. Ha! I've got a butt too, and I have learned to love it. It's good to celebrate these things! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. woot woot! i'm with ya Allie - I'm all about celebrating my body, the way it is. what else am i to do? it's here, it's what I've got to work with right? love and care for what you got. treat the temple right and the temple will abide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha! I love this story! That's awesome. Did you end up getting that dress?

    I can't believe they let you do that song at camp. Hahahaha!

    ReplyDelete