During that time we will be working at one central library to help them run an after school program, build up the catalog, develop their collection, and just see if we can bring any new ideas there. Then we'll also be doing a BOOK MOBILE! This is the part that gets me the most excited - bringing books to schools in rural areas to kids who haven't or can't or are waiting to check out books. We'll also be driving to a few different locations to see some very old libraries, ones that still do not let people check out materials, and to some very new libraries, like in peoples homes. Whatever it is, I want to be there and experience it all. All through college I went on "Alternative Spring Breaks" either working with habitat for humanity or other similar type sponsoring organizations connected to my school. Volunteering is one of few ways I get to do everything I enjoy in life - travel, meet new people, do hands on work, and actually REFLECT on what I am doing, why I am doing it and how it impacts me and others.
When I told a few friends about this trip during the holiday, their eyes were huge and their mouths were hanging open. One said, "I didn't know librarians do that kind of stuff..." and continued to mumble off in utter amazement. Yes folks, it's true. Librarians do way way more than just check out books and put books back on the shelf. Librarians are all over this world doing incredible jobs, like -
- government that sends a librarian into war zones after some combat training, where he or she would be risking their LIFE!
- working for Google over the summer
- working for international non-profit organizations to develop new libraries and support people in continuing efforts
Sigh.
love my job. I am lucky and blessed.
you are so badass.
ReplyDeleteseriously though, i'm really excited for you to have this opportunity!
What an amazing opportunity!
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to hear all about it.
Oh my gosh! This is so awesome! I can't wait to hear all about it.
ReplyDelete