1. When using TP, I am adhering to two squares for 1 and three squares for 2.
2. No more turning on the hot water if I am not intentionally needing or using hot water.
3. Heat off until at least November 1st.
4. Making thicker, winter curtains that will be an extra layer of insulation in addition to the plastic we usually put up.
Anything else I can do? Anyone else have new tricks and ideas for winter conservation or really, all the time conservation?
A friend of mine just mentioned she doesn't ever do heat until Nov. 1. I thought about trying that as a challenge, but I'm a tad worried I'm going to freeze.
ReplyDeletehttp://greenlivingideas.com/heating/winter-energy-conservation-tips-for-the-home.html
ReplyDeleteI just found that link, not sure if any apply to you, but maybe they'll give some good ideas to other readers!
I'm all about saving water. But the TP...I can't bring myself to skimp in that department.
ReplyDeleteI try to wait until November 1. Although, sometimes we already have snow then.
ReplyDeleteWe should seriously consider #1 in our house - with all these girls we go through the TP, let me tell you!
ReplyDeleteI already do #1 and #2, i can now do #3 because i have just had new windows done so i don't need to do #4
ReplyDeleteOther tips include, wear layers of clothes if it's cold rather than putting the heating on
Noelle - if you literally start getting icicles in your eyelashes, it might be ok to turn the heat on.
ReplyDeleteC-snizzle - thanks for sharing! are you not so thrilled you no longer have to think of such things?
Gruppie - if you try it, you might see that you are not scrimping in the end. this might be tmi, but i don't limit the number of times I have to wipe for 2...just how many squares I use when I do wipe.
Allie - I hear ya! we get snow in october sometimes too. im just hoping extra sweaters and blankets will suffice...we'll see!
Angie - again, maybe tmi - but there should be a more eco-friendly way to dispose of feminine hygiene products. For me, I use tampons without applicators, so I wrap it in TP. I don't have to, but out of courtesy for the non-bleeder in my house, I think he appreciates it. :) Any ideas (besides switching to the diva cup)?
ifmusicbe - good for you! having good solid windows is like...TEN TIMES better and more efficient than all my efforts combined. you go! save that heat! sadly, you should see the state of our windows...right now one in the living room and one in the kitchen have the pane detached from the window framing!!! How is that EVER going to keep in any heat, no matter what I do!?@?!
I'm pretty stoked to not have to deal with it as much, but you'd be surprised how much heat we actually use. It can get cold here in SF. My roommates tend to use it more then me, tho, of course :) Guess I haven't acclimated yet to 70s and sunny all year long!
ReplyDelete