Sunday, September 14, 2008

Calling all the Faith-filled


Usually when I post a survey or question answer type post I don't get too many responses. As my readership is at a steady two, I know why. This still does not stop me from throwing them out there anyway, in hopes that I might get more answers than I expect. Because really, it's not about how many answers I get, but what people think and do and believe that I really want to know!

So here goes it again.

I'm wondering for all you 25 - 35 year old people out there some basic questions on faith.

Do you have faith?

Do you practice or share this faith?

If so, how?

Where?


Today is Sunday and I ventured to the local UU church for the second week in a row. Rather than feeling elated or rejuvenated or even intellectually stimulated when I left, I was mopey, sad, and a little...lonely. There seem to be no other members that are in the same or close vicinity to my demographics. While I enjoy meeting younger people and older people, value those relationships for the different knowledge they share, there is a value to seeing a community that includes some of my peers.

Do I need to try another UU church? Is it because other people in the 25-35 age category are practicing different religions than I am? Are they not practicing at all?

If anyone wants to share some insight, please do so. If comments are too much, we could also email.

Peace.

12 comments:

  1. I feel like I have faith, but I don't think that directly means that I must believe in or practice a religion. I think I believe in something higher then myself, but I do not need some sort of 'medium' to help me believe that or achieve that thought. Plus, not that I mind discussing my beliefs, I just don't feel the need to bond with other people on it.

    I wonder if the lack of demographic in church is due to:
    1. living in a city - life is pretty hectic. I was just having a conversation about how we are living in the age of anxiety and depression. We have all these demands on us to do great things and follow the rules of society that our parents have, but don't really apply anymore.
    2. practicing faith seems to have become passe, especially in our age group.

    This is an interesting opinion:
    "But over the past 150 years the relationship between religion and culture has become more fraught. The number of artists who either proclaim, or even acknowledge, a religious inspiration in their work has diminished. There are some musicians working in a classical tradition — such as John Tavener, Arvo Pärt and Henri Gorecki — who are explicitly religious and widely admired. But most contemporary artists either ignore the claims of faith or — in the case of artists such as Gilbert and George, Sarah Lucas and Damien Hirst — deliberately mock and parody religion." (full article here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/columnists/michael_gove/article714856.ece)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have faith, but I don't have religious faith. I have faith in my friends and family, in the things i do each day and i don't feel that i need to ascribe to a higher power in order to live a good life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the comments so far.

    c-nizzle: really interesting point about faith and church becoming "passe" ideas.

    ifmusicbe: those are wonderful things to have faith in. to push that a smidge further, do you openly talk about faith with these people? when you are with them, do you feel like that would be your time of practice? or is your faith more a omnipotent thing - always in what you do and maybe not consciously thought of?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did my comment not go through? I left one about an hour or two ago.

    Basically what I said is I don't feel comfortable at UU services because the demographic is upper middle class and I don't fit in that group. But I was a lot more long winded.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS that "no name" and this one is from Howling Hill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh, howling hill. your comment didn't make it, I don't even have a filter or moderation on so it should have! i love long winded comments! they lead to more discussion. thanks for the synopsis though.

    i think part of me and the feeling of loneliness also stems from that economic point too - I am not married, own a home, have children, and am not upper middle class. however, these people and I share very similar values about social justice, the environment, and other things that surpass economic status...so i dont think this bothers me as much.

    any more thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Honestly, I'm at a point in my life where I don't know what I believe, but I'm pretty sure when I figure it out it won't coincide with organized religion. My brother-in-law and his wife moved to Atlanta and are just in love with their church. I think they're Methodists, but I'm not 100% on that. They are really the only people in that demographic I know of who attend church on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do you have faith? Yes, I identify as a Christian. I believe in God and Jesus and the general message of the Bible. Though I'm a bit agnostic about it--since it's based on faith, I realize there is nothing that PROVES this is true. It could not be true at all!

    Do you practice or share this faith? a bit.

    If so, how? Once in a while I go to an Episcopalian church. Sometimes I pray. I think a lot about God, just generally. I will talk about my beliefs to interested parties,and I will occasionally briefly MENTION my beliefs to uninterested parties. :) And practically I believe in the general concept of human beings created in God's image and thus worthy of respect, so I TRY to approach everyone that way. Often I fail.

    Where?

    ReplyDelete
  9. allie - thanks for sharing. i talked this over with Jason last night, and I think I came to the same conclusion - church just might not be where I find the community or links I'm looking for in my faith/spirituality. I'm much more nature centered, and want to be outside, in silence, maybe writing a little, or sharing a poem or something...does any group get together to do that? :)

    rebekah - you my GIRL! why do you not call me and chat with me more? i miss our talks. i miss ping pong. boo.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actively practiced Christianity for about 7 years. I went to Bible College, taught youth groups and led worship for them for a bit as well. I don't practice any longer and my faith itself is somewhat absent, not because I lack the motivation but because my beliefs have changed. While participating in Church I found that your/my age range is usually in flux and is the one that is most absent from your average church. This is a time in the life of people where we're trying to settle into those grand ideas we had as teens. You generally get lots of youth who are forming opinions of religion and people who are getting older and wiser. These two age ranges tend to be pretty dominant. There are churches out there that are made up of primarily certain age ranges though. If your church doesn't have many people your age I'd suggest finding another one that does. I used to go to one on Wednesday nights that was a younger church and my own on Sundays, but that's just one way. I think exploring your faith with people your own age is important and building community with your faith is the reason to belong to a church I think.

    ReplyDelete
  11. With me as a faithful reader you have at least three steady readers. ;)

    I have always wanted to visit a UU church. But geography is working against me.

    Best of luck with your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. gruppie - good luck in your search too!

    j-fella - that was pretty much exactly what I was wondering and I think your close ties (even if severed) to the church and Christianity would give you a better idea and closer look at the heart of the matter. thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete