I'm still not Erikka. I'm her friend Rebekah, though sometimes she calls me her "colleague" and I get mad at her. My regular blog is over here.
I've been watching porn since I was 18, living in the dorms and having to sneakily minimize my browser window whenever my roommate walked in. It has lead me to a lot of disturbing experiences, including the time I accidentally learned what "scat" means (thanks, Kazaa).
I like queer and feminist porn. Within that specific PORN GENRE (I can't believe I just typed "porn genre") there's a commitment to making the porn transparent, so the viewer understands what's going on--the politics of it, the technical process of filming and editing, the experiences of the people involved, etc. I like hearing interviews with the actors/models/porn stars/sex workers (whatever your preferred term) before and after the shoot, what they liked about it and what they didn't.
A few weeks ago I was watching two people have sex in a way that seemed genuine, like the two people were really enjoying themselves and connecting with each other--which is not extremely rare; I don't think it's too difficult to find porn where both people are into what they're doing. Anyway, I was looking at the comments for the shoot, and people were saying things like:
-There wasn't enough __________. I want to see more ________.
-I didn't like the color of _______'s hair.
-Next time they should do ________________.
And it really bothered me for some reason! I don't think of porn like I would a book or a movie, and I don't watch it thinking, "Oh, the plot could be improved by more of a buildup to conflict" or "the characterization seems flat." To me it seems like porn should be "realer" than a book or a movie--less constructed. Like I said, I want to think that two people are doing what they want to do, not going through motions just to please a wider audience so whatever porn website can make more money. And there was something sexist about it, too, the idea of male audiences imposing what they want onto what women are doing.
So what does that mean for my porn? I guess I shouldn't be surprised or offended when people talk about porn like they're consumers, because, well, people who watch porn are consumers. But I still think it's hotter when the two people seem like they're just having fun with each other and not exclusively playing to the camera or audience. I can't help it! I'm an idealist. Maybe some website can start marketing a new brand of porn--Idealist Porn.
I definitely like my porn to be plot driven thus I don't watch it very often because there are few good plot driven porns out there.
ReplyDeleteMind recommending some of the porns you enjoy? Maybe we have a common ground.
Sorry - I originally posted this as Erikka, didn't realize I was still signed in as her...
ReplyDeleteporn is a personal thing, so I'm not all that surprised that people respond in various ways, saying what they would like or what they wouldn't like. we don't all have sex the same way, so i don't think one type of porn satisfy everyone.
good post, jumping right in there on such a 'taboo' topic!
@ howling hill: oh dear! porn with plot! that must be hard to find.
ReplyDeletehttp://crashpadseries.com is a favorite of mine.
Hmm, I'll bet I could be a pretty good scriptwriter...
ReplyDelete