If only every life could be viewed like a movie in fast forward, maybe then we'd see how each and every decision we make ripples slowly outward from us to spread around the planet. I'm not sure if signing petitions is enough, but if Nobel Peace Prize Winner Al Gore is promoting it, sure, sign me up (that's what is called "tongue in cheek"). Joking aside, I went to the We Can Solve It Campaign website, and sent an email to my congress people asking them to support clean energy initiatives and support creating clean energy jobs.No easing of my conscious like, yup, I saved the world in my way today, but it's something. In actuality, signing these things usually lacks satisfaction or a sense of accomplishment for me. To me, if I'm going to write, I need to actively write, which to me is a continuous effort that is published. I've been trying to lobby my local paper into letting me start some sort of weekly column devoted to sustainability efforts, but I have to "prove" myself first. I'm fortunate that I convinced the lady to let me cover the local farmer's market as a first step. My article is due June 4th and I have YET to get in touch with the farmer who runs and sets up the market. Egads! We'll see if I earn my street cred with this one.
The writing of blogs, articles, letters, etc... as a piece of the effort to create change may seem insignificant and sometimes feels futile to me. When I think too big, too globally, I may not sense the smallness of the Earth, but I sense the smallness of me and my efforts. So I try remembering that every effort needs witnesses, to reach a broader audience, and can be captured forever through the written word as countless authors have attempted to do throughout history. I try to narrow my focus to writing letters to the editor for my local paper instead of just signing these huge and anonymous petitions. Because to me, through writing, I can be an active and efficient modem for change, more so than in any other forum.
This is why I read. This is why I write. This is why I sign petitions.
What's your way?
Here's today's funny -
©Nataliedee.com
Wow, that's awesome you are doing the article on the farmer's market! I commend you and am proud of you for putting yourself out there and making a difference, no matter how 'small' it may seem.
ReplyDeleteI guess I try to stay up to speed with what's going on, and try to make little changes in my habits, like unplugging appliances, not buying bottled water, bringing my own bag to the grocery store and trying to pay attention to where my food travels from...
thanks for the natalie dee post, I love that stuff!
I sneezed on a butterfly last night. I expect the whole future will change now.
ReplyDeletechristine - i knew you would like the cartoon!
ReplyDeletenoelle - did you see that Simpsons episode where Homer did something similar? totally fucked up the future. thanks a lot noelle; i may have just garnered a three eyed baby because of you. :)