Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Ode To A Texas Belle

to my friend who is moving to North Carolina -


The green of the hand bag tucked under your arm matched the green of the leaves, dancing in the breeze. Your blond hair shimmered in the sun like a golden halo around your head. I sat on the wooden bench, my hands clasped loosely together on my lap, and watched you walk away. This image of you, strolling through the Common on a perfect Spring day, possibly the last. Looking down at my hands, I felt the loss and sadness of this possibility, and looked up once more to see you round the corner of the granite gazebo.

And just like that, you were gone.

For a few minutes I sat there, now and then checking to see if I could find you in the distance. No luck. With a sigh, I got up and walked away in the opposite direction of blue eyes, loud laughs, and a slight Texas accent.



5 comments:

  1. It's always hard when friends move away.

    I wonder, how are we supposed to make connections, create communities if we constantly move around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. that was really nice.
    who's moving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that was really pretty. You're so talented, I could feel being there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww. This actually made me tear up. Sorry to hear your friend is moving - that is always hard, but North Carolina is a beautiful place to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  5. howling hill - i have wondered the same thing myself. in such a mobile world today, it's actually looked down upon to stay where you are.

    christine - my friend Trista... :(

    S n' L - (haha, like your old fave tv show) thank you so much for your kind words. when you've responded to my two more...creative writing pieces, I feel like you are encouraging me as another artist. I like it!

    angie - I've actually been to the place they are moving down there. it is BEAUTIFUL! i have a sad fact to admit though - i am not a good...visitor. When I think of visiting, I think of local neighborhood kind of visits. or visits to see my family in NH. visits to me should not require flying. even for the best of friends...is that mean and selfish of me? maybe.

    ReplyDelete