Thursday, May 8, 2008

Did you say F.R.E.E.?

There is a really great place for getting and giving free stuff - FreeCycle. Freecycle is a yahoo group and spans the country. I recently joined the Boston FreeCycle and have used it successfully a number of times. There is a format you follow: in the post's subject line you either start it with OFFER or WANTED and once someone claims it you repost a new one saying TAKEN. A simple, easy to use and follow format.

The one down side is the post itself won't allow for pictures, so I usually add a note saying I can send pictures if requested. There is a photo section, but directing people there to find my photos seems more of a hassle then me sending them.

Once I posted a mini disk player with lots of folk music disks. Someone came to get it within an hour! Just today I've posted a free office chair, a metal frame backpack, and some flower pots. I'll let you know how long before they get scooped up.









ps. it is now 1pm and everything is now taken. woot woot.

8 comments:

  1. Freecyle is so cool! I really need to use it more!

    I listed something on craigslist this weekend and was totally impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "If it's free, ask questions later" Carlton Collins.

    I'm a huge Freecycler. I've gotten rid of all kinds of stuff: a water heater, stove, tons of books and CDs I couldn't sell. I've also gotten good stuff too: CD stand, canning jars (I got a ton of those!) a wok, and other stuff.

    You have to be lightening fast on the Plymouth and Franklin Freecycle lists to get stuff so I can imagine one must be even faster for Boston's list. But it's worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped doing freecycle after a while, because everything I wanted was never available. Maybe our local one has gotten better, I'll have to go back around and check.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well this seems splendiferous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a cool thing.

    Your blog is so enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love freecycle! I have away an entire 3 piece leather furniture set. After about 10 minutes, I had 25 people wanting to come get it! Awesome way to recycle your stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, this is Katie Hayes...your blog is awesome! And I should check out freecycle. There are some things I could use, like a bookcase, that I might find there.

    ReplyDelete