Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Got Milk Genes?

Dear Recently Lactose Intolerant People,

The gene in humans for digesting lactose is SNP C/T13910. Until only about 10,000 years ago humans digested milk until about age 4 or5. With the domestication of dairy producing animals, this has changed gene SNP C/T13910. Now, about 86% of Northern European peoples have evolved life long dairy digestion. As opposed to one-third of Southern Europeans with life long lactose digestion and in the Far East, the gene is non-existent. So really the only thing people with this capability have in common is cows and other dairy producing animals.

So, newly lactose intolerant folks, welcome to the club of the 14% who may not have developed this gene mutation.

Cheers,
Tummy Grumbler


4 comments:

  1. I'm not certain if I'm officially lactose intolerant or not, but I'm perfectly happy to avoid dairy for the sake of the cows, my weight, and my digestion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dairy, but dairy does no love me :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. dairy is a funny and strange thing. sometimes i think about cutting it out completely, but instead i just try to limit it a little... i wonder if i'll ever develop an intolerance...that's another strange thing that can happen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know about the gene stuff -I just hate the taste! Unless, of course, it's chocolate.

    ReplyDelete