Thursday, April 10, 2008

Boston, How I Love Thee...

Glorious Boston -

There is so much history contained within your boundaries. In less than ten minutes, I time traveled from the present back to colonial times then back to the present. There was an old cemetery conveniently across the street from the bar at which I was to meet my beau for a cold beer. This is how close history is here, my dear Boston - you step out the door of a pub into a historic spot! I walked through the cemetery for another five minutes and crossed paths with Paul Revere, Sam Adams, Peter Fanuiel, Mother Goose, and John Hancock. These are giants in the creation of you, Boston, and in the history of our country. And for no money and for five minutes, I relived history.

Back in the day, tombstones were handled differently than now. Instead of angels and cherubic faces carved in marble predominating the scene, the more macabre figure of skulls ruled. Some may find this scary, depressing or somber, but I found it...a relief. More honest as to what is really going on with the process of burying the body of a loved one. For though I want to believe there is a place out of this world beyond the imagination, Boston, I'm just not sure. What I am sure of is that bodies placed in the ground decay and turn into skeletons like this -

before becoming dust...and that body exits existence.

Boston, thank you for holding the past so close to the present. Thank you for constantly reminding we, the current inhabitants, of all that came before us and all that lies ahead of us. Thank you for keeping your dark corners as well as your lighted city centers. You are the best of old and new, scary and comforting, timelessness and modernity.


Sincerely,
A Boston Transplant,
but always a New Englander

5 comments:

  1. I completely completely completely agree! I can go without seasons, Italian food, and Devil Dogs living in the Southwest but there is something in my heart that longs for Boston and always will.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Man I miss Boston! I feel like I've missed so much and left too much unexplored.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Boston! I love this post, mostly because of the pictures of tombstones. I like the skull theme too, very olden times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those tombstones are great! For some reason, I find them less creepy than fat cheeked angels and all the other stuff you see on newer ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grandmother ussed to live at Elliot station. We would ride the T into town to see Mother Goose's grave, eat at Brigams and shop in Quincy market.

    Thanks for the walk down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete