To the Paranoia inducing Government of the US of A -
Signing on to the world wide web to check my yahoo email (ancient), this news alert greeted me -
"'Text messaging on mobile devices has grown from banter between teenagers to a new emergency notification system for cell phones, as approved Wednesday by the Federal Communications Commission.
The FCC said the new rules "'support the ability of the nation's wireless carriers to transmit timely and accurate alerts, warnings and critical information to the cell phones and other mobile devices of consumers during disasters or other emergencies." The policy meets the requirements of the federal Warning, Alert and Response Network Act, whose acronym is, appropriately, WARN.'"
Already there are GPS components in most cell phones. At any given time I could be found via satellite, a somewhat comforting thought when I am winter hiking in the White Mtns. or doing something on my own. Somewhat paranoia inducing because..I can be found by satellite at any time. I've been told "Erikka, do you have something to hide? Who cares?" My response, No, but that's not the point. Anyone who has seen Enemy of the State will understand my concern. A seemingly non-invasive chip can suddenly be turned into a tracking device at any time for any reason.
Then comes the new FCC passing of emergency text messages. The government buying access to frequencies to transmit "life saving information." Right...if I learned one thing from watching Legends of the Fall, it was from Anthony Hopkins. When his son told him he was running for Senate he asked his son and his band of men, "And what do these gentlemen hope to gain if you are elected?...you have asked yourself that question?" What else does the FCC get access to in buying an air frequency?
Maybe I'm paranoid. I hope so. Otherwise, I'm going into hiding G'vment man...and leaving my cell phone behind.
Yours truly,
Paranoid Conspiracy Loving Lady
Then comes the new FCC passing of emergency text messages. The government buying access to frequencies to transmit "life saving information." Right...if I learned one thing from watching Legends of the Fall, it was from Anthony Hopkins. When his son told him he was running for Senate he asked his son and his band of men, "And what do these gentlemen hope to gain if you are elected?...you have asked yourself that question?" What else does the FCC get access to in buying an air frequency?
Maybe I'm paranoid. I hope so. Otherwise, I'm going into hiding G'vment man...and leaving my cell phone behind.
Yours truly,
Paranoid Conspiracy Loving Lady
Somewhere in me I might have the ability to write an intelligent response to your post, but it's not at the front of my mind right now. SO, let me just say I agree with you, you're a fantastic writer, you rock, and you didn't write about Rick Rolling.
ReplyDeleteOne of the owners of my company won't turn on his cell phone, or use EZ Pass for these reasons. Meanwhile, I'm going to try and fight the system.
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure if I'm ready to live off the grid but it is definitely something to think about.
ReplyDeleteWill Smith's ears get bigger each movie he makes.
Just a side note.
I can see the need for an emergency notification system, but it should be something you voluntarily sign up for, not something they just DO because they CAN.
ReplyDeleteSeriously, what is wrong with this country that the people let stuff like this go on!?!?!!!