Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Working in a Coal Mine, Whoop! About to Slip doooown

My mother has worked in some fashion since she was about ten years old (back in the day 10 was ok to baby-sit for your family's little ones. Yikes!). Throughout her working life she has held jobs in approximately three...or four fields - service, administrative, industry (a factory), and office management. She's worked for a lot of different places, especially when she was a waitress. But overall, she's been pretty steadfast in her working habits and never been unemployed. Her longest career was as an office manager with the State, where she worked for about 12 years.

Currently my mom is again an office manager. Unfortunately, she's the office manager of a dying office. Her boss is cutting costs and saving money, which could mean my mom loses her job. My mother is 56 years old and going back on the job market probably isn't the first thing she'd opt to do at this age. This irritates me, pains me, and adds to my disappointment in our system of work. No one who is over the age of 50 should have to start all over again. They've done their time. They've worked. They've contributed to social security and to the unemployment fund. Shouldn't we start paying THEM and congratulating them for a job well done? I'm not talking about forced retirement and no options to work again. No. I am talking about a system with healthy supports in place for people over 50 if they lose their jobs. A system where there are jobs for people over 50 who want to work, and not just the crappiest jobs no one else wants to do (this sounds so familiar...). Old people, immigrant peoples, any one who is not young, virile and otherwise PERFECT in every way on some checklist only available to the elite, are all marginalized in our country. Shoved out of sight, working at night, and given little to no support. Here's a scenario -

Last summer, I stopped at a Dunkin' Donuts in Quincy. The day was Saturday, around 9:00am. The parking lot was full with a line of cars waiting and there was a crowded waiting area inside. Behind the counter was either a woman who looked to be about 80 years old from years of abusing her body or a real 80 year old woman. I believed the latter to be true and it pained me to be there, watching her fill orders for breakfast sandwiches. The woman was 80 years old! No one who is 80 years old should be working in a Dunkin' Donuts. Later, when I shared these sentiments with a friend, they challenged my assumptions by asking me how I knew she didn't want to be there? How did I know? How did I know that an 80 year old woman might not want to be up at 9 serving teenagers with hangovers their breakfast sandwiches? My retort was not based on fact, "Do you know ANYONE who wants to be working at Dunkin' Donuts if they don't HAVE to work there?"

This is the fate I would like to be avoided by my mother and other women and men like her, people over the age of 50 forced back into the work force to compete against fresh faced 20 somethings with a competitive edge that could be lethal.

end rant.


* * * For anyone interested, my beau and I biked our first twenty miles and you can read about it here. * * *

9 comments:

  1. This is why I've retired at age 32. (Oh, how I wish it were true!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This year, both my parents were forced to start new jobs at the age of 60something when they closed their bookstore. It worked out pretty well for my mom, who hopped over to another bookstore, but my dad had a hard time finding a job in law, which he finally just did a week ago. You're right, they should have had the option to retire, but life never does work out that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, I totally agree. My mom had the hardest time finding a new job after she left hers, and that's why she's still at that crappy telemarketing place (though at least she can win coupons if she makes the most calls)... it ain't fair at all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your first 20 miles.

    That was a great rant. I totally agree with you. It's sad how much our society focuses on youth. I'm guessing with your mom's experience she's excellent and efficient and has so much to share with inexperienced workers. I hope that if she has to make a change it's an upgrade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My mom is 58 and had the same thing happen to her about two years ago. She had a hell of a time finding a job and it was very discouraging.

    Happy to say, she has a part-time job she loves and has started her own business that is really taking off.

    I'm hoping your mom will be as fortunate.

    I happen to agree with your view. They should not be out there pounding the pavement at that age and working for minimum wage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you. No one should start her career or job hunt over again. It's really not fair.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with what you are saying here but I want to add the story of my mother. She is going on 66 this year and has worked many jobs in her day. She is in no way slowing down though, she took a job at Target, way beneath her capabilities and qualifications. But my mom is resourceful and put into this job as much as she ever put into any of her jobs, including teaching and managing. She is now the manager of all of cosmetics in her Target in south Florida. Someone might see her and think, "Oh, that poor woman." But she wouldn't have it any other way. I do agree though that there needs to be assistance given to those in need, but it has to transcend age, that help should be there for any one in need.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great blog. It helps too that I just read Fast Food Nation where they focus on the poor immigrants working in really dangerous meat packing facilities, getting paid like shit. I agree with sadieandleo, something should be in place for anyone in need.

    The only thing about the old woman working at Dunkin Donuts that I wonder is, and this might be a stretch, but maybe she doesn't mind working there because she likes meeting customers and feeling useful. Perhaps that is sad in its own right, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete
  9. SadieandLeo + Christine - you both have valid, similar points of which I considered at the time I saw the old lady at DDs and when I started writing this post. The line between pity, sympathy or whatever is very thin...and I seem to be one of those people who just can't see someone in a situation I deem "unfortunate" without a mixture of all those feelings too. Sometimes I wonder then if this makes my intentions or thoughts misguided...me placing my values on others with no right to do so...or at least feel my feelings, but give respect and value to the fact they might not agree. Because if I felt this way for your mom, SadienLeo, she'd probably be pissed. :)

    ReplyDelete