
In a relationship it is really easy to get caught up on the little things your partner does or does not do that ticks you off. So often all the little surprises and happinesses get buried beneath. Sharing a space with your partner only exacerbates the potential for this to happen. Many couples who may have otherwise lived in harmony may be sharing the wrong living space, which can lead to a relationships premature demise.
I do not want to be a fool and get trapped in this way of thinking. Living with my beau has been an adventure, both fun and challenging at times. I chose to live with him and I do not want to
In the moment, it is so much easier to be down right mean, especially to ones you love. It's like I know they love me, so I no longer have to be careful or cautious with their feelings. They are no longer fragile, to be nourished and treated tenderly. I've felt myself becoming a touch jealous on more than one occasion when I've witnessed my beau being a tad different with other people. Why them and not me? Silent stewing. I came to realize one plus side of this situation - seeing the "ugly" in a person equates to comfortability. Ugliness is a part of life too. Being nice, outgoing, friendly, cheerful, smiling, talking, IS TIRING! There are times when I've just felt the need to get mad, to yell, and sometimes my beau is the unlucky recipient of unwarranted anger. He sees ALL of me. I see ALL of him. That really is a privilege. No, he nor I should treat other callously, but I've come to see fighting, anger, and this public/private persona differently. Like tools to becoming a better couple and to better communication.
With this post, I am reminding myself of the reasons why I love my beau, the qualities he
possess that make him extraordinary, and all of his habits I find endearing. These with all the tougher habits, the unexplainables, and the issues make him who I love. Maybe next time I want to rip his head off, I'll try using this perspective first and thus react differently. Who knows?ps. yesterday I was a guest blogger over at FreeandFlawed's blog. Check it.
So true so true so true... every dang word of this.
ReplyDeleteHey Erikka! In response to your comment on my blog... I'm really lucky. The program I'm going to is giving me a full tuition waiver as well as a decent stipend (and that's without me having to teach. It's for performance). So hopefully, I won't have to take out any major loans (although I still need a car... and rent... and new movement-allowing monochromatic clothing... and health insurance... and all of this has to come on a stipend that's about a quarter of my current salary... So who knows).
ReplyDeleteGood luck with everything!
Oh, this was so sweet - now, print it out, put it in a secret place and the next time he really pisses you off - get it out and read it!
ReplyDeleteIt works for me.....haha
Great post.
I read this article awhile ago about a study of married people who have been together for at least 30 or 40 years. The consistency of behavior in the couples who were still happy was that they put up with each other. They just accept the annoying things and don't try to change them. I thought it was interesting. If my husband gets on my nerves (not that he ever does), I try to just laugh. It defuses things.
ReplyDeleteBut I've had my share of outbursts too.
I really liked this post :)
ReplyDelete