Wednesday, February 20, 2008

It's Not You, It's Me

50 Things I Like In No Particular Order –

50. uni-ball pens with fine tips

49. Lined, spiral bound notebooks

48. Coffee in a French press

47. freshly baked croissants

46. orange juice in wine glasses

45. intentionally pairing contrasting colored clothing

44. Tights, nylons, pantyhose

43. quasi old fashioned high heels

42. chubby babies knees, feet, and elbows

41. Doritos

40. reading aloud

39. Jason’s voice

38. Jason’s smile

37. Jason’s eyes

36. Jason’s broad shoulders

35. Jason’s strong hands

34. Jason’s neck

33. Jason’s beard

32. Jason

31. reading in bed in the morning

30. the smell of simmering garlic

29. pushing buttons (literal buttons)

28. walking to the bakery around the block and getting a pastry and a coffee

27. riding my bike to work

26. writing

25. doing something special for someone every day

24. humming and singing while I do work

23. sweeping the floor

22. my nephew sitting in my lap

21. deciding what to add to a new batch of paper

20. hugging my mom and dad

19. getting dressed up fancy

18. hosting dinner and theme parties

17. playing cribbage with my parents

16. playing rummy with Jason and or his sister

15. playing board games with friends or family

14. rosy cheeks and chilly air

13. crunching leaves underfoot

12. breaking ice by stepping on it

11. reading

10. the sun through a high canopy of leaves

9. the smell of pine needles warmed in the sun

8. living in Boston without a car

7. the sound of Jason breathing as he is sleeping

6. when I’m at my parents, the sound of them breathing as they sleep

5. finding new things to do where I live aka “exploring”

4. new cross stitch projects

3. slow, relaxing mornings

2. hiking in the white mountains and suddenly stopping to hear the silence

1. eating popcorn made from kernels in a pan on the stove -I could, and almost do, eat it every night



50 Things I Don't Like In No Particular Order -

50. Cooked onions if they are big chunks
49. Cooked whole leafed spinach, but chopped is fine
48. Dutch ovens when it is cold and I am rushing into bed
47. Burning popcorn
46. Being slightly lactose intolerant and still loving cheese
45. Bad habits, like picking my face
44. Great books with bad endings
43. Being bored at work and thus wasting time on the internet
42. Having to listen to someone explain something they thought I asked when I actually asked something totally different.
41. People who walk into me when my head is obviously turned away from them, leaving me no opportunity to see them at all, but they see me
40. drivers who stop IN the cross walk
39. crumbs left on the counter
38. people who need to be told when and how to do simple tasks, as though they are not adults and can't fend for themselves
37. parents who swear at or in front of their children in public
36. people in the middle of a busy road asking at car windows for money
35. having to walk by a lot of people asking for money and not feeling I can give them any
34. cocky or smug persons
33. Shopping centers
32. Shopping, unless its online
31. young, people of color calling each other the N word on the T
30. people who sit by me on the T, but sit practically on me, as though I don't need the space since I didn't take it
29. finding lost mittens and hats on the street
28. being forgetful and losing things
27. living just far enough away from my family that we don't see each other enough
26. living in Boston without a car to escape from Boston
25. the idea we all die, including my family and friends
24. not having a yard or a plot in a community garden with which to do what I want
23. misplaced priorities
22. biological clocks ticking loudly when, HELLO, it's NOT happening nor do I want it to
21. family and societal expectations gnawing away at my own ideas for my life
20. the big beautiful world and all I won't get to see of it
19. people fake hitting or jokingly hitting my head
18. laziness
17. little dogs - I just want to kick those yappers
16. being small, petite, short, cute and any other demeaning and "power sucking" words...there's a word I'm looking for here....anyone know what I am referring to?
15. condescension
14. being rushed or rushing to squeeze in activities or people - which yes, you see and do it all, but it feels callous and insincere to me
13. birth control and all its side effects
12. paper cuts the kind that don't even show up but kill none the less
11. this is totally mean, but I just don't like cankles...
10. memory loss
9. being caught on the internet when I should be working
8. my indecisiveness
7. trying to be thoughtful in spending my money but then polar oppositely impulse buying
6. eating meat, which I love the taste and everything about, but dislike almost everything about how and why I can eat the meat I have
5. television
4. having to argue more than I think reasonable, only for the person to later find out I'm right and ask something stupid like, "Why didn't you keep defending yourself?" or some such nonsense
3. losing at scrabble to Jason...or any boardish-game...to anyone really. I didn't play sports, I played board games
2. not being really really good at one thing
1. being naively nice



4 comments:

  1. Hi. I just wanted to tell you, as a man, that it's very refreshing to hear a woman say she actually likes pantyhose. Tights and nylons, pantyhose, stockings, all of that hosiery truly dresses up a woman's legs so beautifully. Many men prefer such legs to the bare look. I hope your Jason really appreciates the look and feel when you put them on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment about magic. It made me articulate more clearly what I was feeling.

    A few of the things I love about your lists:

    1.That you mention reading three times in the like list. I hear you.
    2.The living without a car and with a car in Boston - lived there, felt that.
    3.finding lost mittens on the street - shudder.
    4.I relate to much of it - board games, little dogs(ugh), popcorn popped on the stove (btw,really good and easy in cast iron wok)...

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was so cool, thank you! Wow, like poetry in list form.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm totally with you on 2&3 on things you don't like.
    There's definitely more I agree/disagree on, but I should be working. :)

    ReplyDelete