And just as a bit of background information -
This is Lakshmi, the Goddess of wealth, prosperity, and all paths of success. Being the female consort of Vishnu, she also symbolizes beauty and balance. This is the deity that the little girl's parents thought might be reincarnated in their eight limbed daughter. When I heard this part of their story, I have to admit, a little part of me wished it were true...the part of me that still believes in magic, the goodness of all people, and in that higher power that created this place I live. Because I'd love to see some sign, some word, something to prove that some God or god or gods or higher power really is out there.This might then conflict with the beliefs of Catholics, Christians, Muslims, Buddhists, and all those other religions out there with a different image of god or saints or what have you...because really, if Lakshmi appeared, would that mean Hinduism is more real? Do all the Mary sightings and stigmata make the Catholic faith more real? What does make a religion real?
If anyone is reading, and doesn't mind delving into this topic, what do you believe? and what makes it real to you?
Hi Erikka. This is a tough one for me. You see, I was raised by an Atheist, studied Christianity on my own out of curiosity and married (and therefore, converted) a Catholic.......still I'm very undecided. Spirituality is important to me and I feel there is something definitely bigger than ourselves, but cloaking everything in 'Religion' and what that entails is the part I have trouble with. It all seems to revolve around judgment and money in the end. There are obviously many who would disagree with me, just where I'm at for myself right now. Oh, such deep thoughts! My brain hurts.
ReplyDeleteI don't know if you can make a religion real, it's all based on faith and belief. So, maybe it would make people believe more if there a deity appeared.
ReplyDeleteFor me, it's more important to have faith in myself, in others, in my choices then in a religion. I think it can be a positive tool for some people, but I find it too restrictive to live by.
I was raised a Christian Scientist, so I always thought that having a prayer-based healing was a demonstrable way to show that the religion was real. However, deep in my heart, I've always been an atheist, and I don't think anything that can't be tested with the scientific method is real. I think a lot of things in this world only have the meaning that we put on them, and I do find it strange that our belief systems are largely based on the culture in which we're born.
ReplyDeleteWill they bury the parasitic twin?
ReplyDeletewow, interesting question Sobe...they keep calling it a parasite because technically since that half doesn't have a brain, it is not a "human." I wonder if the parents knew they were having twins...if they picked out names for them...and did lakshmi and her twin dream together? wow, Sobe you opened a whole new avenue of thought on this for me.
ReplyDelete