Monday, August 6, 2007

The Garden Grows People and Food

A few weeks ago I organized a community garden brunch for the Davis Square garden. This is no small feat seeing as getting 20 or more people to share the same free time is almost impossible! Finally a date was set and I crossed my fingers hoping the three people who said they would come really would show up!


It was no shock to me when I arrived at the garden to see it devoid of people. I was early; most people come late. There was a stash of supplies as though some other early arrival had recently left, so I planned on at least this one person to be in attendance. Not wanting to sit around and fret, I weeded my plot. I had not been around in a few days and the shepards purse and the chickroot were rampant. After about 20 minutes (which felt like 45 having the sun beaming down on me, constantly bobbing from squatting to standing) no one had showed.


I had brought food and drink, so decided to go ahead and start my own brunch. As I began to set out my food, the garden coordinator came through the gate. We chatted, set out her food, and I learned it was her plates and such I'd seen stashed in the garden area. As we continued, a few more people showed up. By about a half hour after the original start time, there were 10 people in attendance. This was more people than I had met in the garden the whole year I've been a member. I met the lady with the plot across from mine who has these lovely red, spikey type flowers. The man who had my plot a few years before. (who said he was surprised at how well all my plants were doing since he had such bad luck when he was there) The man who rode a bike with handle bars as high as me who was running for city council. (I wonder if he won...?)

The food was mostly store bought, already prepared, but there was one fruit salad that deserves mention here. It is a quick, light summer fruit salad using few ingredients.

1 tub of blueberries (washed)
1 tub of strawberries (washed and sliced)
10 Mint Leaves (minced)
1/4C lemon or lime juice

Mix this all together probably 5 minutes before serving. Voila!

No comments:

Post a Comment