Yup, it's me. Yeah, me. So we're going to talk about the best topic to muse on when in foul weather and foul spirits - death.
everyone is talking about the Virginia Tech slaughter. looking for reasons. getting angry at the school. trying to find someone to blame, when really, people want a way to express the inexplicable sadness that will not leave them. Unfortunately as Americans, I'm not sure we know how to grieve, mourn, and express sadness in healthy ways. Instead of beating our chests and crawling through the dirt like women in Iran, or burning a body as it floats on an endless journey to the sea in India and China, we sterilize and compartmentalize and detach ourselves from the reality that is loss.
as i get older (gasp! did I just say that?) mortality has been slowly wooing me more and more. i still rush into traffic, haphazardly jump off cliffs into water, but I no longer see the people around me as indestructible. i see their fragility, i see my potential loss, and it scares me.
No comments:
Post a Comment